JOB TITLE: ASSISTANT PUBLIC WORKS SUPERINTENDENT
PAY RANGE: $22.60 – $27.90 hourly ($47,008 – $58,032 annually), DOQ
Not Including Overtime
DEPARTMENT: Public Works
Under direction of the Public Works Superintendent, the Assistant Public Works Superintendent supervises unskilled, semi-skilled, and maintenance workers in the construction and upkeep of streets, water mains, and sewer lines. Plans, prioritizes, and supervises work, and reacts to emergencies.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
· Assists the Superintendent with oversight of maintenance workers and equipment operators.
· Supervises and/or performs the installation, maintenance, and repair of water and sewer lines.
· With Superintendent, establishes, priorities, and coordinates and inspects work performed.
· Provides response for emergency situations.
· Ensures staff is properly trained to handle chemicals as required by OSHA.
· Provides snow removal services for the Town.
· Oversees work crews engaged in maintenance of Town alleys.
· Operates both equipment and heavy equipment.
· Assists with inventory management of water and sewer supplies.
· With Superintendent, administers the trash pickup and recycling functions for the Town.
· Reports disabled heavy equipment to the Director of General Services and Town Manager so that a joint decision can be made as to how and where the vehicle should be towed and repaired.
· Oversees the maintenance of the Town cemetery and public grounds.
· Assists Superintendent with budget estimates and directs the expenditure of all departmental funds.
· Performs other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES:
Considerable knowledge of the installation and maintenance of water and sewer lines.
Knowledge of how to operate both equipment and heavy equipment.
Knowledge of hazard assessment and emergency equipment.
Ability to prioritize, coordinate, and inspect work performed.
Ability to inventory supplies.
Ability to respond to an emergency after hours and to provide effective problem solving.
Ability to communicate clearly and concisely both verbally and in writing.
Page 2 – Public Works Superintendent
Any combination of education, experience, and training equivalent to high school graduation, plus five years of experience in construction and building trades.
Two years of supervisory experience.
Experience with installation and repair of water and sewer lines.
Possession of a valid Virginia Driver’s License
Possession of valid Virginia Class B Commercial Driver’s License
Work is both indoors and outdoors and worker will be subject to outside environmental conditions such as extreme weather, cold, and heat.
Subject to call-in 24 hours a day and overtime work.
The Tappahannock Police Department is accepting applications for a certified police officer.
Applicants must be currently certified by the Virginia Department of Criminal Justice Services as a Law Enforcement Officer, in good standing.
Salary will be determined by experience of the candidate.
Applications may be mailed or delivered to Police Department.
Tappahannock Police Department
104 Commerce Road, P O Box 266,
Tappahannock VA 22560-0266
The Tappahannock Police Department is accredited by the Virginia Law Enforcement Professional Standards Commission.
Applicants must meet the following minimum standards: